May is Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Month – a celebration of Asian and Pacific Islander Americans which was established in 1978. AAPI is a rather broad term that includes all of the Asian Continent and Pacific Islands (Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia).
- Visit the Asian Pacific Heritage website. There you can learn more about Asian Pacific Heritage.
- Watch: Celebrate AAPI Heritage Month with PBS Kids (You may need to subscribe to this).
- Watch Read Alouds: AAPI Read Alouds
- Consider the 8 Ways to Celebrate AAPI Heritage Month including:
- Get out a Globe, or use Google Earth, and explore Asia and the Pacific Islands
- Explore AAPI Heritage Sites
- See Children’s Books that feature Asian Authors, Artists, and Characters: 9 Books to Asian American Pacific Islander Month; 20 Books for Young Readers To Celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month & Year-Round; Celebrating Asian Pacific American History and Culture; and Asian Americans.
- Explore AAPI museums and exhibits: a) Asian Art Museum From Home; and Smithsonian Art Museum From Home
- Try a variety of healthy AAPI recipes with your kids
- Get creative by exploring AAPI art and music with your children
- PreK through High School
- PreK 3-5 yrs (preschool)
- 5-6 yrs (kindergarten)
- 6-8 yrs (primary)
- 9-11 yrs (elementary)
- 11-14 yrs (middle school)
- 14-18 yrs (high school)
- Current events
- Fine motor skills
- Gross motor skills
- Health and wellness
- Social-emotional learning
Credit: ConnectionSpot.org on 05/26/2021