May is Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Month – a celebration of Asian and Pacific Islander Americans which was established in 1978. AAPI is a rather broad term that includes all of the Asian Continent and Pacific Islands (Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia).
Not only is this month of celebration important due to the significant contributions of AAPI’s but also due to the hate crimes against AAPI’s in the wake of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
engage your family in AAPI Heritage this yeaR & EVERY YEAR.
- Visit the Asian Pacific Heritage website. There you can learn more about Asian Pacific Heritage.
- Watch: Celebrate AAPI Heritage Month with PBS Kids (You may need to subscribe to this).
- Watch Read Alouds: AAPI Read Alouds
- Consider the 8 Ways to Celebrate AAPI Heritage Month including:
- Get out a Globe, or use Google Earth, and explore Asia and the Pacific Islands
- Explore AAPI Heritage Sites
- See Children’s Books that feature Asian Authors, Artists, and Characters: 9 Books to Asian American Pacific Islander Month; 20 Books for Young Readers To Celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month & Year-Round; Celebrating Asian Pacific American History and Culture; and Asian Americans.
- Explore AAPI museums and exhibits: a) Asian Art Museum From Home; and Smithsonian Art Museum From Home
- Try a variety of healthy AAPI recipes with your kids
- Get creative by exploring AAPI art and music with your children
- PreK through High School
- PreK 3-5 yrs (preschool)
- 5-6 yrs (kindergarten)
- 6-8 yrs (primary)
- 9-11 yrs (elementary)
- 11-14 yrs (middle school)
- 14-18 yrs (high school)
- Current events
- Fine motor skills
- Gross motor skills
- Health and wellness
- Social-emotional learning
Credit: ConnectionSpot.org on 05/26/2021