Here is a simple and delicious Fall treat for upcoming holidays that can easily be made by preschoolers (with your assistance) to high schoolers. Based on the recipe and instructions from Taste of Home, all you need is:
- 20 honey wheat braided pretzel twists
- 3 oz melting chocolate (we used the Bakers Dipping Chocolate because it comes in a microwavable container for easy melting and clean up)
- 40 caramels
- Wax or parchment paper
- Put the caramels in the microwave for a few seconds (10-15 secs, just until they are easy to mold).
- Then wrap two softened caramels around the top of the pretzel rod shaping it to look like a turkey leg (my daughter- a caramel lover- used three caramels but when we ate the finished product, we realized the extra caramel wasn’t necessary- two definitely give you a good bit of caramel).
- Next, dip the caramel wrapped pretzel rod into the melted chocolate until the caramel is coated and place it on parchment or wax paper.
- Let the chocolate on the “turkey legs” dry (if you are in a hurry, you can throw them into the refrigerator but make sure to take them out before serving as the refrigerated caramel will be too hard to eat).
These were a huge hit in our house- they were so delicious! I loved how easy they were to make and how easy clean-up was by using the microwavable melting chocolate.
Grade Levels: PreK through High School
Age Levels: PreK 3-5 yrs (preschool), 5-6 yrs (kindergarten), 6-8 yrs (primary), 9-11 yrs (elementary), 11-14 yrs (middle school), 14-18 yrs (high school)
Credit: ConnectionSpot.org on 11/15/2020